Last week at Liberton Primary
- Our highly popular Homework Club recommenced this week for children from Primary 3 and 4. Thank you to all the staff who so generously give their time to support our pupils in this way.
- On Monday children from P4 to P7 had a chance to try their skills at Chess with taster sessions from Edinburgh Chess Academy. Arrangements for a new Chess Club in school are being finalised and we will let you know the details soon.
- On Tuesday we continued with our sessions with Maths Ambassadors from the University of Edinburgh who have been supporting pupils to develop their maths skills. We also had singing sessions in P3 with the National Youth Choir of Scotland.
- On Thursday the Primary 1 pupils performed an excellent Learning Showcase Assembly which focussed on the learning they have been doing around the Scots Language and included wonderful singing, dancing, artwork, poetry and much more.
- Also on Thursday our P5A class started their block of swimming at Gracemount Leisure Centre.
- On Friday we resumed our early morning Running Club for pupils in P5 to 7 following our Winter break.
- This evening we will be turning our hall into a movie theatre for the LPSA showing of Boss Baby. All tickets have now been sold. Thank you to the LPSA for organising this great event.
Coming up at Liberton Primary
- On Tuesday we will have further sessions from NYCOS in P3 and our Maths Ambassadors from the University of Edinburgh
- On Wednesday we will have another Libby Leaders session.
- On Thursday there will be a family learning event for P1 and Nursery parents between 9am and 10am.
- Also on Thursday our Assembly will be a Religious Observance assembly. This will focus on our theme for the year which is the Golden Rule in different faiths, in this case the Christian teaching of do to others as you would have them do to you. The assembly will be led by our Scripture Union group The Rock. Links to further guidance on Religious Observance assemblies can be found on our website.
- P5A will continue their swimming lessons on Thursday.
- On Friday we will break up for our half-term holiday. There will be no school from Monday 12th February to Friday 16th Pupils will be dismissed at normal times on Friday 9th. Places are still available at the Liberton After School Club for the holiday week.
We are reviewing our arrangements for Safe Travel to School for our families. Can you please take time to complete this survey about how you travel to school and any ideas you have on how we can make these journeys safer. Thank you to everyone who has already completed the survey.
https://consultationhub.edinburgh.gov.uk/sfc/liberton-primary-school-parent-travel-2018. The closing date is 5th February.
Our Junior Road Safety Libby Leaders will be using the results to form our plans for the future, so we really appreciate you giving us your views.
Our Equality for All Libby Leaders group have been working to get donations from local companies to ensure that all children have access to a snack at break time. This is part of our 1 in 5 programme to look at issues relating to supporting families in financial hardship. All classes will have a box of snacks that any child can access if necessary. However if you wish your child not to have a snack please inform the school.
To help keep everyone in our school community healthy please inform the office if your child has shingles, chickenpox or German measles (Rubella).
We now have over 75% of parents signed up to Parentpay. If you are still to register please contact the office and we will print off a copy of your original letter.
Active Schools and Liberton High School Community Sports Hub will once again be running the Primary 1 and 2 Holiday Camp during the February Break. This is an opportunity for all children at a Primary 1 and 2 age to come along to The Hub and try out a variety of different activities. There will be professional coaches on hand to teach children the basic skills and moves from each activity and more importantly, to make sure they have fun over the 3 days.
If you would like to enrol your child in this camp please see details below J
DATES – Monday 12th, Tuesday 13th, Wednesday 14th February 2018
TIME – 10am—12noon
Children will be supervised at all times and
are required to bring their own drink and snack.
VENUE – LIBERTON HIGH SCHOOL,
328 Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh, EH17 7PT
PRICE – £15 for 3 days
Payment can be made online via www.joininedinburgh.org and using ‘Short Code’ Lib-601.
There are 40 places available on a first come, first served basis.
PLEASE NOTE: All registrations must be made prior to the start of the camp to allow registers to be generated. At the start of each morning, children can be dropped off at Liberton High School and parents must sign their child in on arrival at the registration table. At the end of each morning, children can be collected from the Community Sports Hub at 12noon, parents are asked to sign their child out upon leaving.
FOR ENQUIRIES CONTACT ROBERT AT firstname.lastname@example.org
OR ON 07884216213
Raising Teens with Confidence Course
This particular Raising Teens with Confidence Course is specifically targeted to parents and carers who care for a pre-teen or teenager with emotional wellbeing or mental health issues.
Friday 9th February- 23rd March 2018 (excluding school holiday), Goodtrees Neighbourhood Centre, 5 Moredunvale Place, 9.15-11.15am (Tea and coffee provided)
This 6-week course is for parents and carers of pre-teen and teenagers (11-16years). It aims to help adults understand how they can best support their teenage children to navigate increasing independence; develop confidence, security and resilience; and promote and benefit from emotional wellbeing. The latest research around what helps support emotional wellbeing throughout life is used. This includes adolescent brain development, risk taking behaviour, importance of communication and the effects of stress. The course provides an opportunity to explore with other parents how the teenage years can be a time for the whole family to ‘thrive rather than just survive’ (Siegel 2014)! More information attached.
Priority to attend will be given to parents/carers who care for a child who lives in or attends school in Edinburgh.
Please contact Jillian on email@example.com or 078607 361129 to book a space.
Assistance with Schoolwear Grant
It has been brought to our attention that the applications for schoolwear assistance closes on 31st March 2018 for this session.
The schoolwear grant is £43 per primary pupil and is paid directly into your bank account.
To access the grant you need to complete the ‘Free School Meals, Milk & Assistance with Schoolwear’ form.
It is available online here:
If this link doesn’t work, please cut and paste it into your browser.
You can also collect a copy from the school office. The form is available in a number of languages. Please ask if you would prefer a translated copy.
|02.02.18||LPSA Family Film Night|
|01.03.18||World Book Day|
|12.03.17||P6-P7 Cross-Country Championships|
|12.03.18-16.03.18||One World Week|
|21.03.18||Easter Strings Concert 2:30pm|
|21.03.18 and 22.03.18||Parent Consultation Evenings|
|23.03.18||Libby Talent Show|
|15.5.18||Great Libby Bake Off|