Last week at Liberton Primary
- Well done to our Drama Club who on Tuesday put on a fantastic pirate-themed end of term show.
- On Wednesday Primaries 2 and 4 looked fabulous in their pyjamas as they heard from acclaimed author John Fardell. As part of our Libby Reads project they talked about reading at bedtime and even made up their own story together. Thank you to all the parents who attended.
- Also on Wednesday our P6 pupils had an excellent visit to Jupiter Artland.
- On Thursday our P7s gave brilliant performances of their end of year show Grease. In the morning performance they overcame technical difficulties with amazing professionalism and in the evening produced a truly outstanding performance for parents. Congratulations to them all. They are all stars!
- On Friday we had our final LPSA meeting of the session.
- Eid Mubarak to all our Muslim families who are celebrating today.
Coming up at Liberton Primary
- On Monday Primary 2B will visit the RNLI station at South Queensferry as part of their Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch project.
- Good luck to our P7s who from Tuesday to Thursday will have their transition days at high school.
- On Tuesday all our pupils will get the chance to meet their teachers for next session.
- Also on Tuesday we will welcome our new P1 pupils for next session.
- On Wednesday a group of pupils have been invited to the national celebration event for the First Minister’s Reading Challenge.
- Also on Wednesday P1 will have a Teddy Bears Picnic as part of their transition week.
- On Thursday P1 will have a visit to Edinburgh Zoo, P2C will visit the RNLI station in South Queensferry and Primary 3B will be attending the screening of their wonderful film Bad Jack and the Beanstalk at the Filmhouse. Our assemblies on that day will be a review of the year.
- On Friday we will have our last Running Club session of the year and the P7s from our Philosophers’ Club will try their skills in an Escape Room Challenge.
Plans for next term
Following interviews this week we are very pleased to welcome three new members of staff to our team this year: Mr Reuben Barry, Miss Julie Somerville and Miss Alison Telfer. Mrs Angela Charman and Miss Carly Mason also now join us as permanent members of staff. Congratulations to Miss Sloan who is getting married over the summer and will return as Mrs Mabon. We hope to also confirm our Pupil Support Assistant team before the end of term.
We also say farewell to some of our team. Mrs Cath McCulloch is retiring from her PSA post after 22 years of working at Liberton Primary School, Ms Christina Pacitti will also be leaving us to develop her new business, Mrs Sakinah Safi has had a great year with us and we are very grateful for all her work in school. We also say good luck to Mr James Nicol from PSA and Miss Sammy Smith from the Nursery, who will both be starting teacher training courses in the new term.
You will have received a letter today with classes for next session. From August we will have 17 classes, including a team taught P2 class. The three P1 classes will be in the infant corridor, P2 will be in the current P2A and 2B classrooms, Primaries 3 and 4 will be upstairs and P5 and 6 will be downstairs in the main corridor. P7 will be in the Treetops building.
The celebration bench for Joe Clapperton has now been installed. Today we had a special ceremony with Joe’s classmates, where family and friends gathered around the bench. Our P7 pupils shared beautiful stories and memories of Joe. If you get a chance please come and see the bench beside the Treetops building, it is intended for the children to sit, play and have fun on.
Fair Trade Success
We are delighted to have been awarded a FairActive School Award in recognition of our work promoting Fair Trade, this is a step up from our previous FairAware Award. Congratulations to our Fair Trade Libby Leaders group and Miss Sloan for all their hard work towards this.
We are looking for coaches for next session’s Primary 4 and Primary 6 teams. If you are interested please contact the school and we can give you more information. If we could get a few parents from each year group then we would be able to share out the load.
Good luck to Amelie Gaye in P4 who has been chosen to represent her country in the Dance World Cup next week in Barcelona. This is a tremendous achievement and we look forward to hearing how she and the team get on.
School Trips / Packed Lunches
Please remember that if you have not ordered a packed lunch on ParentPay, then you will require to supply your child with a lunch for their trip. There will be no extra lunches available from the school, as they have been pre-ordered.
LPSA Family Fun Day Saturday 23rd June, 2pm to 4pm. Volunteers urgently needed to go ahead as planned! Please email Lpsa.email@example.com if you can help with a stall on the day, even for half an hour, or with set up on Friday the 22nd or between 12pm and 2pm on the 23rd, or with clear-up from 4pm to 5pm. We need help with:
Facepainting and temporary tattoos; manning inflatables – including: bouncy obstacle course, bouncy castle, inflatable jousting; games – including: coconut shy, hoopla, jungle toss, guess the sweeties in jar/name of teddy, hook-a-duck and possibly beat the goalie and/or crazy golf; stalls including raffle, tombola, home-baking, toys, books and crafts. Please let us know if you can help and if there are particular stalls you would like to help with or indeed avoid! We also hope to have the ever popular Soak-the-Teacher stall should we have willing volunteers to be soaked!
We also need lots of donations for the raffle, tombola, home-baking, and good quality second hand toys and books. We will be sending home our paper plates for cakes next week. We are always very grateful for the brilliant donations handed in and will again run a Dress up for Summer Day on Friday 22nd for raffle prizes.
As well as being a really fun event for the whole community we are aiming to raise money towards many extras for the children including furniture and books for the new library and we will have specific events on the day to raise money towards Joe Clapperton’s celebration bench, sign and scooters, including the entrance fee.
New South East Edinburgh Primary School – Information Event, Wednesday 20 June 2018
The Council is continuing to progress the delivery of a new primary school in south east Edinburgh, within the ‘Broomhills’ housing development site for August 2020. This is a site to the south of Frogston Road East and to the west of Burdiehouse Road.
An information event will take place on Wednesday 20 June 2018 to give those who might attend the school in the future an opportunity to see the latest plans. Anyone from the local community is also welcome to attend.
The event will take place at the Valley Park Community Centre (37 Southhouse Road, EH17 8EU) between 3.30pm and 7pm, when members of the project team will be available. You are welcome to drop-in at any time.
Further background information about the project can be found here: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/newsoutheastschool.
New Nursery Provision in the Liberton Area
St John Vianney RC Primary School has been identified as a potential location for a new nursery building as part of the Early Learning and Childcare Expansion Plan reported to the Education, Communities and Families Committee on 22 May 2018.
The project team will be holding an ‘Information Event’ at St John Vianney RC Primary School on Tuesday 19 June between 18:00 and 19:30 for parents / carers and the community.
Help the school win books for our library
National Book Tokens are giving one lucky entrant the chance to win £5,000 of National Book Tokens for their school – enough to buy hundreds of new books for the library. And just in case that warm, fuzzy feeling isn’t enough, the winner also gets £100/ of National Book Tokens to spend on themself!
Read more at https://www.nationalbooktokens.com/schools
If your child will be leaving Liberton Primary over the next few months can you please let the school know as it greatly helps our planning for next session. Many thanks.
Dates for the term:
19th – 21st June P7 High School Transition visits
19th June Classes to meet their new teachers
19th June P1 Induction
22nd June Dress up for Summer Day
23rd June Summer Fun Day
25th June Gold Medal winners celebration
25th June P7 Bowling Night
26th June Strings Concert
27th June P7 Leavers’ Assembly
29th June Term ends