This week at Liberton Primary
- Thank you to the LPSA for organising a wonderful movie night last Friday. Everyone really enjoyed the film and the children were well fed on hotdogs and popcorn!
- On Sunday our newly formed Liberton Chess Team took part in an Edinburgh-wide tournament for schools. The four boys from P5 did brilliantly, coming in third place. Well done to them all!
- Well done also to our team of P6 and P7 pupils who took part in the first round of the Edinburgh Basketball tournament on Monday. The team won all three of their qualification matches and are through to the finals in March.
- Thank you to our Digital Leaders from Primary 4 and Primary 7 who stayed after school and presented a special iPad training session for teachers. They did a brilliant job sharing their knowledge.
- On Tuesday children from Primary 4 to Primary 7 enjoyed their workshops with the SSPCA. Tuesday was also Internet Safety Day and this week our children have been discussing staying safe online.
- On Wednesday our P6 classes had a great time learning about sustainable energy during their visit from Generation Science and we had another Libby Leaders session for P2-7.
- Our Assembly on Thursday focussed on the celebration of Chinese New Year. Well done especially to the nursery who showed off all their great artwork and could tell everyone about their banquet of Chinese food.
- On Friday our P5 pupils had a fabulous time attending Dr Bunhead’s Science Show as part of the Improv Festival’s partnership with Children 1st. They particularly enjoyed the fire and explosions!
Coming up at Liberton Primary
- The school is closed next week for our half-term break. We will reopen on Monday 18th
- THERE WILL BE NO HOMEWORK CLUB FROM 18th to 21st FEBRUARY
Well done to everyone and especially our Green Rockers Libby Leaders group for achieving our second Eco-Schools Green Flag. This is a wonderful achievement and reflects all the brilliant work that happens across the school. Thank you especially to Miss Calvert who has led our Eco-Schools programme.
If you have not booked school lunches on Parent Pay for the week of 18th February you will require to supply your child with a packed lunch. Please check your bookings in advance of returning to school, as we will not be able to provide lunches if they are not already booked.
We are looking to start a school collection of Pokemon cards that children can play with. Hopefully this will address the problems we have had in relation to swaps and lost cards etc. We would love any donations of old or doubler Pokemon cards. Yu-Gi-Ho cards are also very welcome. Please hand them into the school office.
Screening of ‘Resilience’ documentary: Wednesday 20th February 7pm
You may be aware of the film ‘Resilience – the Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope’ which has been screening all over Scotland for the past 2 years. This film is a powerful one-hour documentary that delves into the science of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). ACEs can alter brain development and have been linked with lifelong effects on health and behaviour. Many of our public services are working together to support Scotland becoming a Trauma Aware Nation and I am delighted to bring a special screening of Resilience to our Liberton Primary community so that we too can become part of that movement.
By watching the film we will:
- develop our understanding in the adverse effects of divorce, abuse and neglect
- explore the role of practitioners and communities in minimising the impact of ACEs
- see how cutting-edge science can help the next generation break the cycles of adversity and disease.
After watching the documentary there will be an opportunity to discuss our thoughts on the film, what we have in place at Liberton currently and what steps we can take as a community moving forward.
Further information about the film and ACEs:
- Resilience Trailer: https://vimeo.com/137282528
- ACEs NHS Short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpIi-4CZK0
|11th – 15th February||School closed|
|28th February||P6 Learning Showcase Assembly|
|11th – 15th March||One World Week|
|14th March||P2 Learning Showcase Assembly|
|28th March||P1 Learning Showcase Assembly|
|2nd April||The Great Libby Bake Off|
|3rd April||Parent Consultation Evening|
|4th April||Parent Consultation Evening|
|5th April||End of term|